How Oxidizers Work

Chlorine Dioxide ExplainedOxidizers are nature's own way of cleaning, sanitizing, and deodorizing

At the core of the oxidation process, you will find available oxygen atoms.  They are considered "Reactive" because the extra oxygen atoms will easily detach and connect with other molecules.  This process changes the nature of the molecule turning it into some type of oxide, and oxides are less volatile or polluting than the original problem.  This process works on organic or chemical threat, and also works against pathogens (bacteria, virus, etc).

Its primary impact is that it will "Oxidize" environmental threats.  It is used to destroy odors, kill mold and mildew, sanitize for bacteria and virus, and neutralize threats.  Because it is a gas, once applied, there is no residual chemical to worry about.  Ozone in gas form is a well-known oxidizer.  Chlorine dioxide and hydrogen peroxide are in the same group, but are generally applied via a water-based solution

  • Odors:  Oxidizers are reactive, like ozone, to change the odor problem at the source.  As a rule, the oxidizing process will neutralize many environmental threats without the use of more caustic chemicals.
  • Mold and Mildew: Proper application of oxidizer has proven to kill mold and inactivate mold spores.   This does not infer that there is no need to physically clean and remove mold damaged areas.
  • Bacteria and Virus:  Whether as a gas or as a liquid, oxidizers are very effective as a broad spectrum disinfectant and sanitizer.  Rather than using a chemical to poison the bacteria, virus, or protozoa; the outer membrane is destroyed by the rapid oxidizing power causing germs to quickly die from exposure.
  • Pest, including bedbugs:  Oxidizers are generally not effective for pest control.  They only work over long periods of high concentrations.  Activated hydrogen peroxide has been very effective at pest control when activated with other non-polluting, eco-safe ingredients.
  • Water Decontamination:  It is more effective as a disinfectant than chlorine in most circumstances against waterborne pathogenic agents such as viruses, bacteria, and protozoa, including the cysts of Giardia and the oocysts of Cryptosporidium.  Chlorine dioxide and hydrogen peroxide are commonly used in many industrial water treatment applications as a biocide including cooling towers, process water, and food processing.
  • Other Contaminants: Most volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are neutralized by the chemical reaction with oxidizers.  When treating for VOCs, TICs, and chemical residue, activated hydrogen peroxide offers an incredible level of decontamination success.

Precautions:​  Chlorine dioxide, depending on the quantity and percent of mixture requires care during handling and application.  As a gas, workers are advised to wear a carbon filter mask during application.  Health concerns are confined to the handling, mixing, and application process.  After the treatment and ventilation of the area, there are no health concerns for those who enter the area.

Activated Hydrogen Peroxide does not produce hazardous gases, and the PPE is only a cotton face mask to eliminate the issue of breathing the mist during application.  The product dries in ten minutes, and normal activity can resume.

Post-TreatmentExpect a chlorine-like pool smell, bleach smell after a treatment by chlorine dioxide in treated area.  This odor does fade, but is not a health concern once the area has been properly ventilated.  In that the after-smell is a kind of clean smell, it is important to understand that the post-treatment smell will always happen, and it is not a concern after ventilation.  Generally speaking, the gas-out process will have a more noticeable post-treatment smell than the fogging process, but chlorine dioxide will always leave a chlorine-like smell that fades over time.

Activated Hydrogen peroxide leaves only a faint clean smell.  In that the pre-existing VOCs, TICs, pollen, mold spores, and chemical residue has been neutralized; many people suffering from asthma, allergies, MCS will find they breathe easier in a fully decontaminated house, workplace, or school.